Top 5 rainy day games for kids (of hungover parents)

Cheers!This weekend marked yet another opportunity for me to celebrate what’s turning into quite the protracted 40th birthday!  As if my amazing trip to Melbourne wasn’t enough, I also had the pleasure of a gorgeous night of tapas and bubbles with a bunch of my besties.  After some initial anxiety about where (or even whether) to celebrate, and concerns about who should or shouldn’t be invited (I do sometimes wish I lived in Downton Abbey, where everyone simply knows the protocol) I finished up partying like Prince Harry on rec leave and surrounding myself with more bubbles than a Hollywood hot tub.  The notion of a set number of ‘standard drinks’ went out the window about 30 minutes in.  I was pretty much in free fall after that.

Now, I rather like a quiet glass of New Zealand’s finest with dinner,  but being a responsible family woman these days I really don’t indulge very often.  I’m not at all accustomed to negotiating a full day at home with three children and a hangover.  This morning I pulled up dustier than a drover’s drink bottle (in drought season).    My wonderfully understanding husband and I tag-teamed the day’s responsibilities, but there’s little one can really do about the fact that kids (on a rainy day, what’s more!) need entertaining.   Here are some of the ideas I came up with…

Top 5 rainy day games for kids (of hungover parents)

1. Hospital emergency

Oh no! There’s been a terrible accident and the busy staff at Charming A & E have a patient (reclining on the couch taking small sips of black coffee) who needs bandaging (feet only), cold packs, gentle massage and quiet voices.  This patient may or may not be in a coma, rendering her speechless and unresponsive.

2. Cinderella

In this nifty reimagining of the classic tale, Cinders and her sisters (male siblings included) don their aprons and get busy ensuring their cruel stepmother (reclining on the couch taking small sips of black coffee) has her every need satisfied.  While I’d stop short of any actual cruelty,  I have no problem with the princess posse sweeping floors and washing windows in the name of ‘creative play’.

3. Library Stocktake

It’s time for the annual stocktake at Charming Regional Library.  The General Manager is examining the paperwork (while reclining on the couch taking small sips of black coffee) and all other staff are required to participate in rehousing the collection.  Books must be pulled off the shelf, all dust jackets matched with their hard covers and all components of box sets returned to their rightful positions.  Books must then be returned to the shelves – spines out and in height order (you can go all out and make them alphabetise if they’re old enough!).

Just in case you thought I was kidding!

Just in case you thought I was kidding!

4. Treasure hunt

Arrrr! There’re pirates in town.  And what do pirates love most? Trrrreasure!  The pirates have spotted a mermaid (who’s reclining on the couch taking small sips of black coffee) and she has given them a list of things to find at the bottom of the sea.  A few easy finds are good to get the ball rolling (a silver fork, a red Lego brick) but be sure to offer a few decent challenges or your pirates will be bouncing back to your tranquil spot on the rock as if they’re on a bungy rope.

5. Don’t poke the bear

We’re going on a bear hunt!  Somewhere in the lounge room is a big, scary bear (reclining on the couch taking small sips of black coffee) and if you get too close the bear will growl!   You can play any other game you like as long as you don’t raise your voice and you absolutely, positively DO NOT poke the bear.  (I don’t think this one requires a great stretch of the imagination somehow).

What are your tips for being a responsible parent after a night of irresponsible drinking?  Got any rainy day game suggestions?

This Charming Mum would like to point out that she does not condone overindulgence in the devil’s drink, but as she is about to turn 40 she reserves the right to paaaartay like it’s 1999 (when she would have been 26 and probably still just gone to work the next morning).

31 comments for “Top 5 rainy day games for kids (of hungover parents)

1. June 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Lara all I’ll say is that I sincerely wish I’d read this post tis morning when I was looking down the barrel of a long day with a 3 kids and a hangover. To my eternal shame I just let them watch DVD’s and groaned feebly at them to go outside and play (it wasn’t raining). Which they ignored.

Thanks for linking up Lara – you add much needed charm to our little linky 😉 Rachel x

June 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Nothing wrong with a few DVDs on the right occasion! Hope you had a fun night to make the hangover worth it x

2. June 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

How very creative. I’m going to print this one hahahaha. Will come in handy tomorrow!

3. lisa
    June 14, 2013 at 1:07 am

I would have done the DVD/TV thing and gone to sleep too. Kids are unforgiving aren’t they? Happy Birthday-glad the birthday festival of Lara is continuing in fine form.

4. Ness
    June 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Those ideas sound like way too much effort at the best of times, let alone if I was hungover. Ahem.

5. June 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm

You had me in stitches. I’m trying these next time!

6. March 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Total genius! I’m borrowing some of these ideas for next time I’m hungover which, if I’m honest, will probably be tomorrow 😉

7. March 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Oh this is gold. I’m totally bookmarking this for good times and bad consequences ahead. 🙂

8. Michaela C
    March 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Dropping in from the March Blog Carnival. Brilliant ideas LOL I may steal some…

9. February 24, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is hilarious and so clever – I totally love how you got them cleaning books – clever mumma. As I write this I’m slightly dusty are having friends over and the Husband and I are tag-teaming – I totally might have to try the A&E prompt! Happy 40th – welcome to the naughty forties 🙂

February 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Ooh, hope you feel better soon! It’s great if you and your husband can tag team – even better if you can BOTH lie on the couch drinking coffee. Good luck!

10. February 23, 2013 at 7:25 pm

LMAO! Great ideas, Lara!
    I do like the idea of Hospital Emergency but Don’t Poke The Bear would have to be my thang 🙂

11. February 23, 2013 at 9:12 am

Lara – you’re a GENIUS. And happy birthday! Is it ok out the other side? I’m going to fake a hangover just so I can play. Who am I kidding? I’m hungover. And it’s raining. Game ONNNNNNN.

12. Zanni, Heart Mama
    February 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Ha ha. Love it. Actually I don’t need to be hung over to play these games with my kids. My daughter’s favourite one is “give mum a massage”. She literally won’t let me get up! Happy 40th! xx

February 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Oh what a fantastic idea! I’ll file that one away for next time 😉

13. February 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Oh that’s hilarious! I honestly don’t think I have ever been that hung over ever! But I don’t drink a huge amount either.
    I can imagine my kids would take great joy in the brat game, but they’d expect the near to run after and case them!

• February 22, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Bear game, not brat game.

February 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Bear, brat – it’s a fine line 😉

14. February 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

OMG You need a medal for these fabulous ideas.
    I’m sure parents will be taking them all on board.

February 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Melissa. Amazing what you can come up with when you really don’t want to move!

15. February 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I am not sure what this says about me, but I was compelled to read this post!
    I think I may just stick it to my wall for the inevitable hangover day that comes around now and then…..
    Becc @ Take Charge Now via #FYBF

February 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm

They don’t come around very often for me, but when they do, they’re serious! A wall hanging of some kind is practical indeed.

16. Kelly
    February 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Hahaha! I love it! So creative. I’m not a drinker but it would work very well for night owls also. 😀

February 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Kelly. I’m not much of a drinker either really which is why I needed inspiration to get through last Sunday! I do think anyone who’s ever needed a ‘day off’ from parenting might relate.

17. February 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hilarious. Totally love it. I don’t drink, but I certainly feel hungover some days!

February 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Yeah, I think it just applies to any old day when you’re feeling a bit too tired for creative play! Well done you for not drinking. I think I’ll be abstaining for awhile myself 🙂

18. February 18, 2013 at 7:23 am

You are so clever Mrs Charming. My brain doesn’t work nearly so well when I’m hungover

February 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

Amazing how creative one can be under duress eh?

19. February 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

See turning 40 has its benefits! This is a very creative way to deal with a hang over. I’d dump my two in front of a DVD and go back to bed.

February 17, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Yes, well, that was tempting but they wanted to watch it in the lounge room with me, which meant I would have had 3 kids, a hangover and Tinkerbell to deal with 🙂