Your Best Year Yet by Kelly Exeter

Change your life Kelly ExeterYour Best Year Yet: 7 Simple Ways to Shift Your Thinking and Take Charge of your Life.
Kelly Exeter RRP: $3-$10 (depending on the version)
Buy online at Kelly’s blog: A Life Less Frantic

There are probably already too many self help books in the world. And yet they continue to appear, again and again, like motivational cat memes – except you have to pay for them! Thankfully Kelly Exeter’s Your Best Year Yet is a breath of fresh air within this very stale genre. It’s succinct, productive and positive – with none of the usual waffle. I read it over breakfast in fact (speaking of waffles!) and I’ve re-read it a couple of times this week, dipping in and out of the sections that rang the loudest bells in my mind.  In the spirit of the book itself, I’m taking my first steps towards efficiency and control by reviewing it in point form!

Things to love about Your Best Year Yet

• It’s quite short. 7 big points made in 50-odd short pages.
  • It’s easy to understand. Kelly blends her own lived experience of stress and depression, including business, health and family struggles, with some more general examples to which many of us can relate.
  • It’s productive. Every situation is presented with a concrete, functional mind solution. You can’t completely avoid stressful or negative situations in your life, but you can change your mindset and respond to them in a more productive way.
  • It’s interactive. Although this is a quick book to read, it also offers opportunities for you to take away Kelly’s suggestions and create your own notes and lists that might help make sense of your existing unhelpful thought behaviours.
  • It’s not what you say, it’s the way that you say it. This book doesn’t necessarily present any earth shatteringly new ideas, but the simple and effective way in which Kelly communicates her suggestions makes them potent and memorable. She doesn’t claim to be a guru; Exeter is simply someone who has faced some very dark times and found her way out of the fog, and is now in a position to share her strategies.

Top things I learned from Your Best Year Yet

Everyone will take something different from a book like this because we all have our own personal demons. For me, a couple of game changing thoughts were:

• Old habits are incredibly hard to break. So, why not change focus? Stop beating yourself up and instead try creating some new habits to take their place.
  • There is often no such thing as a bad decision. Decision making can paralyse us when, in many cases, either choice could equally provide a path to happiness. Just pick a path and make the most of it.
  • “The only person who should get to write the story of your life is you.” You can take or leave what other people think, say or suggest about your choices. You need to shape a narrative around the person you want to be.

Each of these thoughts has sat with me through the week, popping up in different conversations and scenarios.  None of these ideas is a magic bullet for instantaneous bliss, but they do provide some tools for gradually adjusting that inner monologue that so often prevents us from reaching our goals. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen!

There are times in life when we all face true tragedy, grief, illness and suffering and it’s incredibly hard during those times for anyone to tell us to ‘stay positive’. But outside of those significant life moments, an awful lot of us drift along harbouring feelings of inadequacy, self doubt, resentment or frustration that result from stagnant, unproductive thought patterns. This book is a fantastic little detox for the mind! Use it like your morning yoga stretches to liven you up and make you more flexible! You probably send your kids off to school in the morning reminding them to ‘make good choices’ – perhaps it’s time we grown ups learned to do the same?

With thanks to Kelly Exeter for my review copy.

17 comments for “Your Best Year Yet by Kelly Exeter

1. July 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book! I might have to get my hands on a copy I think.

2. Robomum
    July 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I’ll have to get my hands on a copy soon. I’m reading a great deal about this book.

3. July 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I have this on my to read list and I’m looking forward to reading it!

4. July 17, 2014 at 9:46 am

I’ve already ordered a copy since everybody seems to be raving about it. I’ve read quite a few self-help books, some helpful, some not so helpful. I like the idea of this one being short and to the point. I’m looking forward to reading it.

July 18, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I’m all for getting my self-help delivered in bite size portions! I’ve read a lot of self help books too and these days I mostly hate them! But this one is so easy to read and very practical. Hope you enjoy it!

5. July 17, 2014 at 9:30 am

I am hearing so many great things about Kelly’s book, I shall have to track down a copy!

July 18, 2014 at 8:27 pm

It does seem to be hitting the right notes with a lot of people!

6. July 17, 2014 at 7:27 am

Sounds like a very interesting book, I like book that cut the waffle and get to the point. I’ll have to take a look.

July 18, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Me too. I hate the kind of self help books that are 400 pages long but really only have one central argument.

7. July 17, 2014 at 7:13 am

There are no bad decisions, only good decisions that go horribly wrong (30 Rock) – this book looks like it’s got a lot of useful ideas to think about.

July 18, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, I think that’s the key to these sort of books really – dip in and out of it, find the bits that resonate for you.

8. Lisa
    July 17, 2014 at 12:22 am

I really enjoyed the book too Lara. I went through a self-help stage in my mid 20’s and found that Kelly’s book triggered a few memories for me. I really believe you are meant to be where you need to be at certain times in your life. Mindset is such a powerful tool to change a situation.

July 18, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’ve read a fair few self help books over the years too – some far more effective and less cheesy than others. These days I’m a bit cynical about the genre, but this one is really fresh and practical.

9. July 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Thank you so much Lara. You’ve really touched on pretty much all the subtleties I hoped people would get from the book so … thank you!!

July 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm

My pleasure Kelly! It’s great. It’s still sitting next to my bed – will be revisiting a few pages each night until they completely sink in!

10. July 16, 2014 at 11:41 am

A fantastic review and I agree with everything you have said about this book. It’s been a great motivational tool for me and I’ve picked it up more than a few times since reading it through. The short and sweetness of it really bodes well me with. x

July 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I agree Emily. It’s so easy to read – ideal for busy people who need inspiration in short, sharp bursts. No wading through hundreds of pages to get to the core message!