Naked Cakes by Lyndel Miller

Naked Cakes book reviewNaked Cakes by Lyndel Miller
Murdoch Books RRP:$49.99

Wa-hay! Did someone say naked? Sadly, if you’re looking for images of someone baking in the nude, you won’t find them here. But my title is not just click bait. To a time poor mum with Pinterest-envy, the Naked Cakes concept is probably MORE exciting than actual nudity. Imagine being able to produce intricate, delicious, impressive cakes for your next party with very little time, money or skill! That’s my kind of cake!

Naked cakes are a ‘thing’ right now, embraced by anyone who wants to make everything from scratch using real ingredients AND create lush, indulgent looking baked creations with the wow factor. A naked cake is left free from fussy fondants and fiddly figurines; it is laid bare, showing off its organic shape and rustic edges. Decorative touches come from a drizzle of chocolate, a smear of cream, fresh fruits or a bunch of edible blooms that require no expensive icing gadgetry or dodgy artificial colours or flavours.

And yet….

Naked Cakes Choc Popcorn Cake by Lyndel MillerCheck this out! I present a Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Popcorn and a Chocolate Fudge Glaze. Rich, glamorous and seriously easy, totally adaptable to a gluten-free format, and guaranteed to have your Instagram buddies green with envy.

This beautiful book is more than just a cook book, too, including all kinds of tips and tricks for creating a scene (in all the right ways) at your next party. Cute napkin folding ideas, flower arrangements and colour concepts are popped in next to step-by-step recipes for fillings and frostings that turn your basic naked cake into a showpiece.

Naked Cakes by Lyndel Miller Watermelon Cake

This Watermelon Cake is all natural, using a fresh fruit combo and a splash of coconut cream. What a fab alternative for your next kids’ party or summer celebration?

Naked Cakes is like a baking-for-beginners cookbook meets a copy of Home Beautiful. Every page bursts with stylish photography and an elegant design layout that makes it ideal as a gift or coffee table book, even if you never bake a cake! But bake you will once you understand that beautiful cakes don’t have to require hours of effort.

With thanks to Murdoch Books for my review copy. All opinions are my own.

12 comments for “Naked Cakes by Lyndel Miller

1. August 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm

There’s a bakery here that does naked cakes and I was excited at first, thinking it would be something I could actually pull off – until I saw some and realised that I’m still me (no decorating skills to speak of). I think I need that Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Popcorn in my life though!

August 9, 2015 at 10:24 am

I am hopeless with the fancy fiddly icing stuff, but some of the ideas in this book are really pretty easy to pull off I reckon. A few of the cakes they’ve used are also a little bit ‘rustic’ (read: lopsided) which is how most of mine come out! The salted caramel one does look amazing 🙂

2. August 8, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I tried to convince my girls to have a naked cake for their birthday but they are kids and were all about the icing. They look so good!

August 9, 2015 at 10:22 am

Yeah, you can’t win every battle, lol. Although my kids were pretty excited about some of the ‘styling’ ideas in this book – like funky folded napkins and bunting, which means the cake isn’t necessarily the ‘hero’ of the overall party. But I know what you mean. Hard for a watermelon to compare with an Elsa cake sometimes 🙂

3. August 7, 2015 at 3:50 pm

OMG, naked cakes is now my new favourite book. Haha.

August 9, 2015 at 10:20 am

Yeah, I’m loving it. It’s like flicking through a really indulgent lifestyle magazine – so pretty! But good recipes too.

4. August 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Yum, and the watermelon one is even healthy too.

August 9, 2015 at 10:20 am

It is! And even the ‘unhealthy’ ones are still not soooo bad – homemade is still better than scary colours and preservatives 🙂

5. August 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I need all the cakes! And that watermelon creation looks perfect for my non cake eating kid’s birthday!

August 9, 2015 at 10:19 am

Yes, there are a few interesting ones in there, like crepe stacks and fruit based things as well as the more traditional cakes. Something for everyone 🙂

6. August 7, 2015 at 10:32 am

OK, I’ve just bookmarked this post. When I climb down from this diet, I’m going to give that salted caramel a whirl. Wowsers! This book looks delicious.

August 9, 2015 at 10:18 am

It’s impressive eh? And some of them are at least kinda healthy!