Win! Back To School Kids Book Prize Packs

Right. Let’s get this party started! In honour of launching my new look blog, I’m giving away 3 awesome kids’ book prize packs for upper primary school aged kids. Simply follow Charming Language on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or by email subscription. Then, leave a comment below telling me the strangest word you’ve heard this week. Weirdest answers win!

Reading for pleasure in childhood has lifelong learning benefits

Did you know that reading for pleasure as a child has been linked to the development of language and maths skills up to the age of 16? In fact, some research suggests that your vocabulary at the age of 40 is linked to how much reading you did as an adolescent!

Luckily, books for school kids are so varied these days that there really is something for everyone. Get your kids off to a great reading start this year with a prize pack of quality titles.

Kids’ Book Prize Pack 1- Perfect for girls, 10yrs+

Image of three kids book covers - Secret Cooking Club, Lizzie & Margaret Rose, and Princess Parsley

• The Secret Cooking Club by Laurel Remington
  • Princess Parsley by Pamela Rushby
  • Lizzie and Margaret Rose by Pamela Rushby

Kids’ Book Prize Pack 2 – Perfect for boys, 9yrs+

Image of 3 kids book covers- Black Sunday, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Football High

• Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Double Down by Jeff Kinney
  • Football High – Young Gun by Patrick Loughlin
  • Black Sunday by Evan McHugh

Kids’ Book Prize Pack 3 – Perfect for fantasy fiction lovers, 8yrs+

Image of 3 kids book covers from the Star of Deltora series by Emily Rodda

• Star of Deltora series – Books 1-4 by Emily Rodda

Thanks for dropping by my community of readers and writers! Now…

• Please leave a comment telling me about the strangest word you’ve heard this week! It could be a new phobia you’ve just discovered, something your child has invented or a dubious Trumpism (heaven help us)! You can also tell me which prize pack you’d prefer to win.

Then…

• Go and visit me Charming Language in the social media of your choice. If you’re not already a ‘liker’ or ‘follower’ it would be great to have you on board.

Hope your last couple of weeks of school holidays are squabble-free and enjoyable. You’ll enjoy them even more with kids quietly absorbed in books from their kids’ book prize pack!

Competition Ts & Cs…

Competition closes at 5pm AEST on Friday 20th January 2017. This is a game of skill. This competition is open to Australian residents only. The three entries judged by me as the weirdest words will win one prize pack each. No correspondence will be entered into after that time. Prizes are not exchangeable or redeemable for cash. Winners will be contact by email. Winners will need to supply a postal address to claim their prize. Due care will be taken to forward your prize to the nominated address, but Charming Language will not be responsible for prizes that are lost in the mail.

35 comments for “Win! Back To School Kids Book Prize Packs

1. Carmel Corry
    February 16, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Hello – Just wondering if you announced the winners or were they only contacted privately? Was just curious as to which words you liked the best. There certainly were some good ones 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 11:56 am

Hi Carmel, I announced the winners on social media. Sorry if you missed the announcement. Yes there were some terrific words to choose from! Meegan, Rose and Kasper were our winners. Three quite different but creative and amusing responses.

• Carmel Corry
        February 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Oh, I have been watching here for the winner’s names. Nevermind. Thanks for replying. 🙂
        P.S. The Facebook link on your blog under the heading ‘Let’s Socialise!” appears to be broken.

February 18, 2017 at 7:01 am

Whoops! Thanks very much for keeping me on my toes Carmel. There are a few bugs in the system at the moment!

2. Sandy Wallace
    January 20, 2017 at 8:30 am

Flibbertigibbert.
    My English friend called my daughter this amazing sounding word. It means whimsical, flighty and talkative which sums her up beautifully!
    Pack 1 would be lovely.

January 21, 2017 at 8:20 am

Great word! I think of it from The Sound of Music actually – it’s in the song ‘How do you solve a problem like Maria’ 🙂

3. Kasper
    January 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I heard of ‘toad poo’ as a mispronunciation of Tofu. Posibly some truth to it. I’ve only tried one of them 😉
    We would be happy with any pack as they are all such great prizes

January 21, 2017 at 8:21 am

That’s hilarious! I think a few people would agree that the taste can be similar if not cooked properly!

4. Tracey
    January 19, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Nice revamp!

Overheard Miss 7 reading to Miss 5.
    Miss 5 asked the meaning of a word and still couldn’t understand despite Miss 7s explanation.
    ‘Don’t worry then, it’s just a Dahl-ism’ says miss 7

They love their Roald Dahl!

I think they’d also love to go into the draw for book pack 1 please

I also found your phrase squabble free funny at this end of the holidays…

Happy New Charming!

January 21, 2017 at 8:22 am

It’s amazing how Roald Dahl just stays popular generation after generation. I think he was really brave with his vulgar, monstrous sort of characters and wild kids – seems to be universal!

5. Carmel Corry
    January 18, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Ooop! Forgot to say I’d love the Star of Deltora series – Books 1-4 by Emily Rodda
    please

6. Carmel Corry
    January 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm

GRANDILOQUENT – It apparently means pompous or extravagant in language……..which is exactly what I think of the word 🙂

January 21, 2017 at 8:22 am

Perfect example of a word that sounds exactly like its meaning!

• Carmel Corry
        January 22, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Indeed 🙂

7. Renee Ballantyne
    January 17, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Bamboozled and flabbergasted

January 21, 2017 at 8:24 am

I’m guessing flabbergasted comes from ‘aghast’ in some way. Excellent words!

8. Lobroo
    January 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I was doing a crossword and the clue was ‘When frozen with fear it causes you to sometimes cry often’ – it was cryophobia (fear of ice!) Twitter follower 😎

January 21, 2017 at 8:24 am

I certainly had a fear of Frozen after my kids watched it 350 times!

9. Rose Lowdell
    January 15, 2017 at 12:56 pm

aa. yup aa. thats my word lol. my son was reading a book about volcanos. we were both quite intrigued assuming they misprinted.. to define a kind of volcanic lava that forms jagged masses with a light frothy texture!! and the fantasy pack wud be our first pick!!

January 21, 2017 at 8:25 am

Wow! That’s fascinating. It’s awesome the way kids’ books can teach us adults stuff!

10. January 12, 2017 at 6:46 am

More of an expression but my 4 year old was mispronouncing a word and I gently corrected her. She shrugged and said “potato-tomato!”
    I love pack number 1- I know just the girl for that 😉

January 21, 2017 at 8:26 am

That’s very cool. I love the way kids just say spit stuff out without worrying whether it’s the ‘right’ expression.

11. DIANA
    January 11, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Amoured-dildo. Weirdest and most hilarious word I’ve heard this week, especially for the imagery conjured up in my very dirty mind. What she meant to say was Armadillo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2017 at 8:27 am

Ba ha ha! I’m totally picturing an armored dildo now. I bet they exist!

12. Ern
    January 11, 2017 at 2:35 pm

“Sewerage Pipe”. Eleven year old nephew was telling us about someone who’d committed sewerage pipe. On further elaboration of his story, the word should have been ‘suicide’. Definitely the strangest word heard this week, for the context. Made us all laugh.

Kids’ Book Prize Pack 3 please.

January 21, 2017 at 8:27 am

Oh dear! Not a funny topic – but a very funny interpretation of the word!

13. January 11, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I don’t think I learned any new words this week, but I did talk to a Mum friend about agoraphobia, as she was feeling fearful of leaving her home.

I used to love Emily Rodda’s books as a kid, glad to see she’s still kicking a round! I think my son would love the second pack

January 21, 2017 at 8:28 am

It’s good to be able to put a name to phobias I reckon as people sometimes think they’re the only person in the world who worries about a certain thing.

14. Deb Kennelly
    January 11, 2017 at 1:31 pm

My 5 year old exclaimed he was eating his “thirth” peach!
    Lots of laughter as his older sisters tried to explain, but all he could say was, “the thirth one was the yummiest!”

January 21, 2017 at 8:29 am

Super cute! I don’t blame them for being confused though. The English language makes no logical sense when it comes to first, second, third etc!

15. January 11, 2017 at 8:50 am

What a great prize pack! Love books 🙂

16. Rita
    January 11, 2017 at 7:54 am

Congrats on you new blog Lara!
    I’m already following you on Facebook.
    Weirdest word I heard this week from my little one is “gount”! I still haven’t worked out what it means but she says it a lot!

January 21, 2017 at 8:30 am

I wonder if it has some hugely significant meaning in that little brain? She probably thinks you’re silly for not understanding this very important concept 🙂

17. Meegan Berry
    January 10, 2017 at 5:09 pm

It’s not the biggest word I’ve heard this last week, but it sure raised some eyebrows in this house! ‘Ilk’ is the strangest word this week. My daughter brought it to me asking if it was an anamgram like lol or fml? She said all she could find was I Like Kake, but didn’t think that would be right as cake is spelt with a ‘c’ and it didn’t make any sense. Lol

January 21, 2017 at 8:31 am

That’s funny! So, any 3 letter word is now assumed to be text-speak? Ilk is a weird looking word though, true.